Taking a hot bath with at least one cup epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) is a great way to absorb and get much needed magnesium. You can add lavender, chamomile, or other essential oils and bliss out. Spray topical magnesium oil (available at health food stores) on stiff/sore muscles or anywhere to absorb this crucial nutrient transdermally.
The RDA (the minimum amount needed) for magnesium is about 300 mg a day. Most of us get far less than 200 mg. And, remember in Ayurveda you only absorb what you actually digest properly. So if your digestion is a source of complaint, you may not absorb all the minerals from your food even with a healthy diet.
Signs that you may benefit from more magnesium?
- Muscle cramps or twitches, fibromyalgia
- Aches and pains
- Insomnia, anxiety, ADD
- Irritability, sensitivity to noise
- Headaches, migraines
- Chronic fatigue
- Kidney stones
- PMS, severe menstrual cramps
- Irritable bowel syndrome
Foods rich in magnesium:
- Kelp, seaweeds, dulse, shrimp
- Wheat bran, wheat germ, buckwheat, millet, rye, brown rice, barley
- Collard greens, kale, parsley, dandelion greens
- Almonds, cashews, filberts, pecans, walnuts,
- Figs, dates, avocado